Autocross Tips 102: Part 2

So there you are rap’n and cruise’n with your peeps down the street, all tucked back in your seat with your hat on crooked. Stop!

So there you are rap’n and cruise’n with your peeps down the street, all tucked back in your seat with your hat on crooked. Stop! You need to start practicing everyday and every moment you are driving to optimize you’re A/X performance. Disclaimer: DO NOT BREAK ANY TRAFFIC LAWS! Focus on being SMOOTH and purposeful in your driving. Pay special attention to where and when you shift when turning (more on this later).

Step #1 Sit up. Pull your seat forward so you can rest your wrists over the top of the wheel with your arms nearly straight (not too close though- give your airbag room to deploy without punting your head into the back seat). Get used to sitting properly so on game-day it feels right.

Step #2 Hands at 10 and 2, or as the Stig recommends- so your thumbs are resting on top of where the wheel spoke hits the wheel. The goal is to keep both of your hands on the wheel 99% of the time- the other 1% is to shift (not text).Yes it feels funny when you do it all the time but we are building habits that we won’t have to think about later-it will become second nature. Also, don’t grab the wheel underhanded and try not to cross your hands- most corners, with proper positioning will allow you to make the turn with minimal hand shifting.

Step #3 Have you ever used the expression “I feel like I’m just sitting here spinning my wheels” when you can’t seem to get something done? In autocross if you’re spinning your wheels you are doing just that- your brake and accelerator are not an on and off switch. MODULATE them accordingly to be smooth and to transfer braking and accelerating forces as effectively as possible- if you’re spinning or sliding your wheels they are not maximizing their grip and therefore not maximizing your performance. This is partly why drifting is not the fastest way around a course- fun yes, fast no.

Share Button

Related Posts

No Comments Yet.

Add your comment